Thursday 20 June 2013

I Am.

In the Gospel of John Jesus says:

"'I am the bread of life.'"  John 6:35 (NRSV)
"'I am the bread that came down from heaven.'"  John 6:41 (NRSV)
"'I am the living bread that came down from heaven.'"  John 6:51 (NRSV)
"'I am the light of the world.'"  John 8:12, John 9:5 (NRSV)
"'I am the gate for the sheep.'"  John 10:7 (NRSV)
"'I am the gate.'"  John 10:9 (NRSV)
"'I am the good shepherd.'"  John 10:11 (NRSV)
"'I am God's son.'"  John 10 :36 (NRSV)
"'I am the resurrection and the life.'" John 11:25 (NRSV)
"'I am the way, the truth, and the life.'"  John 14;6 (NRSV)
"'I am in the Father, and the Father is in me.'"  John14:10 (NRSV)
"'I am the true vine.'"  John 15:1 (NRSV)
"'I am the vine, you are the branches.'"  John 15:5 (NRSV)

There are at least 7 different metaphors for Jesus.

Unfortunately this is mixing your metaphors.
It is excessive and confusing.

Add to these John 4:10 "'he would have given you living water.'" and John 7:38 "'Out of the believer's heart shall flow rivers of living water.'"

What did Jesus mean by these statements?

In all cases Jesus is saying that he embodies something which is essential for life - bread, water - or something which is essential for salvation - the light, the gate, the vine.....

I am conscious of mixing metaphors myself.

Aquarius is the Water Carrier.

What could the enigmatic waters in the jar be?

In my neighborhood there is a garden which is bordered by a street which begins as Water Street and ends as Love Street.  This street takes a turn about half way down where Water Street becomes Love Street.

My experience of the Water Carrier is like this street.

As you draw closer to God you begin to see.
This is the spiritual knowledge which the waters of Aquarius are said to represent.
And it is all about Love.

The epigram for Aquarius is the Egyptian hieroglyph for water.
The hieroglyph for the jar is ab or the heart.

"'Out of the believer's heart shall flow rivers of living water.'"  John 7:38 (NRSV)

This can only be Love.

No further metaphors are needed.


[Scripture quotations (marked NRSV) are taken from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A., and are used by permission.  All rights reserved.]

No comments:

Post a Comment