Tuesday 11 December 2012

Progressive Christianity.


What I don't believe :

1.  I don't believe that the Bible is the literal word of God.

2.  I don't believe in the Fall/Redemption model of Christianity.

3.  I don't believe in the virgin birth.

4.  I don't believe in the physical resuscitation of Jesus body.

5.  I don't believe in the three tiered universe (and therefore the ascension).

6.  I don't believe that sex is a sin.

7.  I don't believe that people should be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race, creed, or sexual orientation.

8.  I don't believe that religion should control people using fear and guilt.

9.  I don't believe that Jesus Christ is the only path to God.

10.  I don't believe that Jesus is divine in a way that others are not.

11.  I don't believe in the judgment - personal or collective.


What I do believe :

1.  I do believe that the Bible should be interpreted as poetry and metaphor (taking into account the individual authorship and the cultural and historical context of each piece of writing).

2.  I do believe in original blessing (God's good creation).

3.  I do believe that God is love.

4.  I do believe that God is compassionate.

5.  I do believe that we should work towards "The Kingdom of God" on earth (not just a reward in heaven).

6.  I do believe that "The Kingdom of God" is characterized by justice, equality, understanding, and peace.

7.  I do believe that God is immanent and panentheistic.

8.  I do believe that homosexuality is a legitimate expression of God's good creation.

9.  I do believe that women are equal to men.

10.  I do believe that people are free to worship God in any way that they see fit.

11.  I do believe in life after death for everyone.


Photo Credit: ideacreamanuelaPps Flickr via Compfight cc

No comments:

Post a Comment