Tuesday 2 January 2024

Coifi.


Coifi was King Edwin of Northumbria's Pagan Priest upon the king's conversion to Christianity in 627 CE.

King Edwin held a council of the wise men of his realm and asked them what they thought of the new preaching (Christianity). 

Coifi answered: "O king, consider what this is which is now preached to us, for I verily declare to you that the religion which we have hitherto professed has, as far as I can learn, no virtue in it....." - admitting that the Pagan gods had not advanced him. 

He set fire to the Pagan idols declaring:
"I will do this myself, for now that the true God has granted me knowledge, who more suitably than I can set a public example, and destroy the idols that I worshipped in ignorance?"

Many have claimed that the Pagan gods are fakes, including, famously, Socrates.

But the worship of Jesus Christ brings us into direct contact with the real living God.

And the practise of his teachings brings Salvation.


Photo Credit: blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment